Monday, May 10, 2004

Posting: Create
What exactly does that mean? Create? Am I really creating? I would say that I'm relaying if anything.

But, in any case, I think today I shall rant, due to inspiration from Megan. Only I can't think of a topic on which to rant, so I will fall back on my old faithful ramble. I really wish that I could come off sounding more intellectual on these things. The problem is that my brain constantly rips through thoughts as they come into existence in my head, before I've had the opportunity to record any of them on... blogper.

So I'll start with a thought that's been hanging around my skull since the weekend. I just realized that when I return, I will never have another class with the "Gifties" again. I will never see the familiar faces of the class of 2004 walking down the hallways of PHS again. For me, that story is over. It was a shock. Suddenly being made aware of a missing piece of my life experience. Somebody just pulled a veritable Jenga piece out of my side, threatening imminent mental collapse. Why was this happening to me? Had I not known this before? Did I not care then? Had I, in all of my infinite spite for everything related to high school and human interaction, dismissed this idea as meaningless in the grander scheme of things?

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a damn about never being able to sit through a class with the same people again. It's just that realization that the format will be changed. Variables will be removed and all new ones added. On top of that, as I have already been physically removed from the day-to-day scenario of interacting with the same people, the process will not be gradual. It is already over.

That sounds slightly inhuman, and it doesn't really capture what I'm trying to say. I won't miss everyone, but I will miss lots of people. I will miss smiles, and voices, and even irritating habits.

Given this sudden absence of... roots?, my mind began to struggle to fill the gap. Who would replace those people who would move on. What are they like? When will I meet them? How? What will they mean to me, and how will the value of the people from the past change?

This was all in the space of around 2 minutes, as I was walking through Hokkaido University's main campus. And at the height of it, I came around the corner and saw this beautiful pond with a little waterfall. The water was clear and at the bottom were millions of different coloured pebbles. I was with Motonari at the time, but he had walked a little ahead and turned down a different path to explore.

I stopped and stared. A stunning cherry tree hung suspended over the main body of the pond.

A single cherry petal fell to the water and rippled.
And I understood.

No comments: