Monday, March 08, 2004

What should I do?
Okay kids, serious decision making time. To be perfectly honest, I am despising this host family at the moment. But that's just the problem, I go back and forth from hating to enjoying.
Here are my reasons for wanting to leave:
A)I am restricted from all communication with the outside world at this locale.
B)I do not appreciate my host sister (at best), am uneasy around my host father, and am becoming uncomfortable with my host mother.
C)I am not allowed to go out by myself
D)I am not allowed to go out with other exchange students
E)I am not allowed to contact other exchange students
F)They have given me alcohol (which I enjoyed, but which is still against the rules)
G)They're really fucking weird
H)Yesterday morning, my host father actually hit me with some pamphlet (It didn't hurt, but he HIT me, unprovoked)
*I will give further details on this incident below
I)They consistently force me to hang around them, which is not something I always want to do.
J)I am just overall constantly feeling negative and uncomfortable.
K)Today the mother asked me if I was a man, and yesterday they seemed offended when I told them I didn't like sports.
L)They are constantly whispering and talking about me while I am present
M)Thus far there have been around 6 argument-like discussions in which I am singled out and ganged up on with feined attempts at "communication" (aka bullying in a foreign language)
I don't feel like writing this anymore.

Reasons for wanting to stay:
A)I am more or less settled here
B)I don't want this to be ruined
C)I am nervous/afraid of contacting the group
D)I like the non-family people that I am around
E)I don't know where I would go, and I have exchange student friends here
F)I have a really nice Japanese teacher who sympathizes with me

Okay, so what happened yesterday, with the whole hitting thing: In the morning, I felt like doing something. And, as I don't like the host sister, I asked if I could call Debbie (another exchange student), the two parents looked back and forth "okay" said the mom, and walked away. The father stared off into the distance. Silence. I asked once more if it was okay, in case he didn't hear me. "Chotto matte (wait a sec)" he said. Okay. He walks into the living room, and goes to get the the group rulebook. I am FUCKING SICK of the the group rulebook, as I have seen it no fewer than 5 times so far. I say "nevermind, iiyo iiyo" and walk away to go resume studying my japanese. He continues to fiddle with the book and the mother comes into the room. "Nani suru no? (what are you doing?)" she says. They babble, and she comes and sits on the couch across from me. "Why do you want to talk to Debbie (translated, as the text from here on will be)?" "Because she's my friend" "Oh, is that why?" More innane babble between parents. "It's okay, nevermind!" I say, becoming quite thoroughly frustrated. "Are you okay?" says mother. "I'm fine. Nevermind" She walks away. Next thing I know, I'm being hit in the head. "Here! Look!" says the father. I am thoroughly confused as to why I have been struck with a booklet.

He points at rule #9, which is as follows: "Students should refrain from contacting other exchange students while on exchange, except for during the group activities (which do not actually exist) such as summer camp, etc. (does not exist). However, contact by the phone, the e-mail and the letter are allowed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that say I can talk to people on the phone? AND e-mail them? Apparently, it does not translate the same way.

"Okay okay" I say, as I no longer care and am extremely frustrated and eager to get back to my studies.

Me and host sister go see a movie, which I add costed $13, and when I return yet another meeting is called. It turns out, father got angry because mother got angry. Mother got angry because she felt that I was not taking her "communication" seriously. From now on, the new rule is that I must take communication seriously, and look in their eyes when they talk to me.

...............what .............the....................fuck!?

And today when I got home, my host mother asked me if I was a man. Because she thought I was between a man and a woman. As I have no sexual preference, I deem this to be more or less accurate. But I concede to being a man so as not to provoke further incident. Now I must "train" and become a "good man"....... Because I am feminine? Talk about an uncomfortable situation. Commentary please? I hope to make a decision about this over the next three days at the latest.

No comments: